Friday, July 23, 2010

The Chaplain's Corner



The Chaplain's Corner




Guest blogger, Chaplain Paul, is one of the most effective chaplains in America today. He is an emergency responder to every situation.

Hey, this is the Chaplain again.

A few days ago I was on a call out in the county; it was up on one of our area mountains. When I had completed my ministry I decided to take a different route back, what I thought would be a short cut, down the other side of the mountain because I needed to visit someone in that general direction.

I was not familiar with the roads in that area, but I was sure that as long as was headed in that direction, surely I could find my way. I said to myself, "I may not know where I'm at, but I think I'm going somewhere."

After driving about 30 minutes I came to the conclusion that I really did not know where I was, and I was not at all sure I was going in the right direction. So it was time to get out my GPS and let it lead me to where I needed to be. I thought I knew where I was going... I thought I knew the way... But!

There maybe someone reading this who is like that in a spiritual sense. You have a vague notion of where you want to go - heaven, some day - but you're not really sure
where you are, or even if you're on the right road. I like the way one of
the newer translations (The Message) renders what Jesus said in Matthew
7:13-14,
"Don't look for shortcuts to God. The market is flooded with surefire, easygoing formulas for a successful life that can be practiced in your spare time. Don't fall for that stuff, even though crowds of people do. The way to life-to God!-is vigorous and requires total attention."
We can find the same thought back in the Old Testament; Proverbs 14:12-13 says,
"There's a way of life that looks harmless enough; look again-it leads straight to hell. Sure, those people appear to be having a good time, but all that laughter will end in heartbreak." (Msg.)
I needed a GPS to find my way over the mountain; we all need Jesus to find our way to heaven, and following Him makes our journey a lot smoother. In John 14:6 He said,
"I am the Road, also the Truth, also the Life. No one gets to the Father apart from me." (Msg.)
There really is no substitute for Jesus!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page