Thursday, January 10, 2013

Day 3

Day 3: Yahweh: What The Name Means

Ex 3:14-15 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
God replied to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: I AM has sent me to you."  God also said to Moses, "Say this to the Israelites: Yahweh, the God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever; this is how I am to be remembered in every generation."

As is the usual case in Hebrew culture, one’s name carried a significant meaning about the person named … this is especially true regarding God and his name, Yahweh.

Yahweh, comes from the Hebrew verb of ‘being’ or ‘existence’.  In English we would say it is the verb, ‘to be’ or ‘to exist’.  Therefore, we have the rendering in verse 14 above, “I AM WHO I AM.”  The meaning is difficult to express in any human language … but we shall make an attempt.

Yahweh, means self-contained existence.  Included in this name is the revelation that God is totally self existent.  God needs no outside resource to exist, this is true of God, and God alone.

God needs no air, no food, no water, no shelter… God alone is totally self-existent.  No other person or thing can make this claim, therefore, only God can rightfully claim the name, Yahweh … “I AM.” 

Therefore, God asks in Isaiah 46:5

“Who will you compare Me or make Me equal to? Who will you measure Me with, so that we should be like each other?”

Prayer: Dear Father, Thank you for this revelation of your indescribable reality.  You alone, can stand alone, without any other thing, you alone, have no need.  Thank you for sharing your person with us.  In Jesus Name.


xtnyoda, shalomed

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page