Monday, September 26, 2011

Destroying lives for "carbon credits"



This report coming from the UK Guardian. In Uganda, 20,000 people driven from their land, homes, livelihoods, so the rich can get richer ... in the name of saving the planet from global warming.

Ugandan farmer: 'My land gave me everything. Now I'm one of the poorest'

Land tenure in Uganda is a subject of much dispute, and last year's farming evictions have left 20,000 homeless

Francis Longoli, a small farmer from Kiboga district of central Uganda, is tearful: "I remember my land, three acres of coffee, many trees – mangoes and avocados. I had five acres of bananas, 10 beehives, two beautiful permanent houses. My land gave me everything. People used to call me 'omataka' – someone who owns land. Now that is no more. I am one of the poorest now," he says.

Longoli and his family of six lost everything last year when, with three months notice, the Ugandan government evicted him and thousands of others from the Mubende and Kiboga districts to make way for the UK-based New Forests Company to plant trees, to earn carbon credits and ultimately to sell the timber.

Today, the village school in Kiboga is a New Forests Company headquarters. More than 20,000 people have been made homeless and Longoli rents a small house in Lubaali village. He says he cannot go back for fear of being attacked.

"I no longer own any land. It's impossible to feed my children – they have suffered so much. Some days all they eat is porridge from maize flour. When people can't eat well their bodies become weak – there have been lots of cases of malaria and diarrhoea. Some days we don't eat anything at all," says Longoli.....
Pure evil being perpetrated on the poorest, to save earth ... and benefit the rich.

I await the outcry from the MSM ....

xtnyoda, shalomed

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page