Saturday, April 24, 2010



On April 19, 1971... chuck aka xtnyoda was on a visual reconnaissance mission... flying as a door gunner... on a Marine helicopter... over the Republic of South Vietnam.

After first flying over the first of 3 North Vietnamese Army base camps at the altitude of 1,500 feet... at the request of the infantry lieutenant on board for a closer look... to gather visual information for a Marine unit that was going to conduct a strike that night... we then descended to an altitude of only 400 feet for a second pass-over... suddenly our lone helicopter came under intense automatic weapons fire.

Long story short... we were shot down... and by the grace of God and an excellent co-pilot... we managed a controlled "landing" nearby.

Because of our desperate situation... I was not able to make the afternoon flight I had been scheduled for. My best friend, George Vangundy, took my place.

Shortly after his flight took off the helicopter experienced catastrophic mechanical failure... George died instantly.

Thirty-nine years later to the day, April 19, 2010, our first born son and I traveled some 650 miles to the resting place of my friend... to place a simple rose of remembrance... over his grave... and say a prayer in memory.

We were able to find the location of the grave after having been united over the internet with one of George's sisters, Judy, several years ago. Judy and her husband, Larry, graciously met us at the grave site in the north-western corn fields of Indiana.

I had always felt... and often said that George had died in in my place. I had shared the same with Judy in our e-mail correspondence... it was a heavy weight on my heart... for 39 years.

We had a blessed time together in that small, rural, cemetery... words cannot describe how grateful our son and I felt that Judy and Larry would make what was for them a 4 hour journey to... meet us there... at the grave of her brother.

The picture above is xtnyoda... and Judy.

I shared with her again my deepest feelings of... grief at the loss of life... and the emotions that go with feeling that somehow... it should have been me.

Judy was gracious beyond description... and delighted to meet us. It was one of the greatest and rewarding moments of my life... to get to look into her accepting eyes and gentle unassuming smile.

As we approached each other for the initial greeting... after John and I got out of our car... she quietly asked, "May I hug you?"

I don't know what to say about the embrace... except to say... for a fleeting moment... it seemed I could actually feel the heart-beat of my friend... in her heart.

After our sharing and grateful meeting... it was time to say good-by. Judy asked, "How long was your journey?" I responded, "It only took about 11 hours driving."

Her husband, Larry, gently responded, "No Chuck... it's been a 39 year journey." His wisdom struck home.

Then... a couple of days later I received an e-mail from Judy that I wish to share part of with you. This paragraph is one of the greatest statements of personal redemption I have ever received... save the cross of Christ.

"You have said several times that George died in your place. I think this thought has caused you a lot of pain over the years. I wanted to tell you that I don't think George died in your place. I think George died in his own place, and one day, you will die in your own place.

I don't think one can choose to decide who dies in who's place. The Lord is the only one who decides.... and then He calls us to Him when He is ready for us. I understand how you might feel about what happened, but please don't continue to think about it as you do. George died in his place and you will die in your place when the time comes.

Nothing more."

That statement friends... is priceless.

Thank you Judy.

xtnyoda, shalomed

Below I am going to post a picture that I happened upon of the helicopter that I was shot down in. I was shocked to find it... it was on a web site that had photos from Vietnam... and the person that took the picture must have been on the recovery effort after we were evacuated. You might be able to read his writing at the bottom of the picture that says, "Shot Down!"


Labels: ,

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God Bless you so much for sharing this. It will be nine years for me that my ten year old daughter went to heaven. I have learned to live life to the fullest, to Praise God and that we will be reunited in God's Timing.

6:59 PM  
Blogger XtnYoda said...

Thank you Joanne Amos.

I am grieved to hear about the loss of your daughter nine years ago. It sounds like you have received our Lord's comfort and grace... this is a true blessing to hear.... as you know... many grow bitter... and understandably so.

Someone told me once that when we lose a close loved one... it serves to make the thought of heaven much sweeter.

God Bless.

Chuck

7:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A very nice write-up, Dad!
John

7:33 PM  
Blogger Rachelle Jones said...

I know this weighs heavy on your heart...and am glad you got to make this journey...

Prayers

12:05 AM  
Blogger Prime said...

Chuck, I just found where Rick posted this over at Brutal this morning and I left my say about it there. But I must also say a few words here.

You are a special person to have undertaken this venture of redemption for yourself and your friend.

I know that he is in Heaven and that he sees both your actions and your thoughts and always has.

Know now as Judy said, you didn't take anyone's place that day. God, created the vacancy that day for it was already written in his plan before time began.

There was nothing that you could do about it and there was and is nothing for you to say about it other than to accept it as what it was and is. The will of God.

Yes, I remember those days too. The CH 46 was a bird that I flew on a number of times along with the 53.

That photo must have been the inspiration for a chill or two down the spine when you stumbled across it.

Now consider this.....it may also have been a way for your friend to let you know that he is alright and watching over you and has been. Nothing happens by chance Chuck.

I am a firm believer that as during times of war, we can often find ourselves in the presence of heroes? If we only pay attention, we can realize that we have also been in the company of angels on many occasions during our lives.

I know that I have.

And if you stop and think about it my friend? You will realize that there have been times in your life that are explained no other way than by the grace of God and the presence of angels in your life.

You've carried a burden for a lot of years my friend. Let it rest, lay it upon him now.

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

10:09 AM  
Blogger Prime said...

One more thing. While discussing your story with my father in law, he pointed out to me an aspect that I had not considered. George didn't die for you Chuck...he died for all of us. As did the other 58,000 plus who died in that war.

But more importantly, thinking about your story and your pain led me to a greater awareness. One that you may not have considered in your grief over the years.

As Judy pointed out, George didn't take your place in death all those many years ago. George died as he was supposed to.

But the one who did take your place? Took your place on the cross as he did for me over 2000 years ago. If there is ever to be any consideration of thought given that anyone has forfeited their life for you or I? Then there is where and when it happened my friend.

He died for each of us and each of our sins. and yes, in the day of glory to come, you will get to see your friend George once
again. And you will finally be able to meet your friend Jesus in person.

God bless you Chuck.

2:32 PM  
Blogger XtnYoda said...

Thank all of you for the very encouraging words and insights!

Love that Lo... "He died for all of us!"

One more really neat reality insight coming out of this whole thing!

2:46 PM  
Blogger Tiger said...

I, too, had several friends die in "our war" and spent years and years locked in a fog of guilt, always "why them and not me?" Still am shrouded in the fog many days. That you found the final resting place for your friend and were able to get some release is enviable. You're a Godly man and I envy that spirituality you possess through our Savior's Words and wish I were more steeped in the total dedication that defines your wonderful life. I still don't fully understand how you've been able to represent Him so completely. I try.

6:33 AM  
Blogger XtnYoda said...

Hey Tiger... I salute you.

Still looking forward to those stogies!!!

10:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello chuck!!! Thank you for loving my dad george and never forgetting about him. I never got to meet my dad or any of his/my family. Im 42yrs 'young' and just seen a pic of my dad for the first time!! I finally found my aunt judy...and what a journey it has been.... im overwhelmed with joy but sad in the same breath. I know my dad was awesome young man....he made an awesome daughter.....please dont hold the burden of what happened to him. I love u so much for being my dads best friend...i know my dad has watched over us for years...hes our hero...our angel!!!

12:45 PM  
Blogger XtnYoda said...

Carrie, just feeling kind of amazed that you have make this journey! Thank you for posting!

Your Dad was beautiful.

3:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page