Thursday, October 15, 2009



The Chaplain's Corner

Chaplain Paul is one of the most effective chaplains in America today. He is an emergency responder to every situation.

Here is his current life event...

A few days ago one of the agencies that I serve called and asked me to respond to a location. The rule at the dispatch center is, “When you don’t know who to call, call the Chaplain.” This was one of those calls.

The subject told me he was 22, although he looked twice that. His eye sockets were dark and recessed. You could see bones under his thin skin everywhere. He smelled like . . . I’m not sure I should say what, but it wasn’t good. As I looked at him my heart was broken because of what I saw - and what I didn’t see. I didn’t see hope. I didn’t see faith. I didn’t see love. All I saw was despair and misery. That’s what the devil gives to those who choose to follow him. The young man told me a long and twisted story, the kind I’ve heard many times. He told me he really needed someone to talk to a doctor and get him some more pain medicine – a ‘friend’ of his had stolen his last few pills. The abuse of prescription medications is a real problem, and getting worse.

I let him talk; I was trying to build a bridge between us. As he talked I was silently praying for the Lord to give me the right words. When it was my turn I told him that only Jesus could set him free and put meaning back into his life. But I could tell he really didn’t want what I had to offer. He said he just needed some more drugs. I told him about places that I could help him go where they would love him and help him get free of this addiction. But he didn’t want that, he just needed some more ‘medicine’ and he’d be OK. I offered to call his family, but he told me they had given up on him a long time ago. He did let me pray with him, and I called his name to the Father many times since then.

As I watched him walk away I remembered, “There, but for the grace of God, go I.” And I wondered why God has been so good to me? I really don’t have a good answer for that - other than GRACE. And I thanked Him again for giving me the opportunity to know Him, and the faith to accept His invitation.

You can contact Chaplain Paul via e-mail at crossandshield@suddenlink.net

Thanks Chap.

xtnyoda, shalomed

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page